Dance Marathon at the University of Michigan

This organization raises money to improve the lives of children with medical needs and disabilities. Beyond fundraising, DMUM puts on many fun social events for kids and sponsors a variety of therapies at no-cost to the family. Families who join DMUM are connected with volunteers who are committed to providing friendship and support. To learn more, please visit:


Ann Arbor Center for Independent Living

The mission of the Ann Arbor CIL is to provide hope, offer support, and transform lives with dedication to the success of children, youth, adults, and seniors with disabilities at home, at school, at work and in the community.

The CIL assists people with disabilities in overcoming barriers and meeting their goals in areas including:

  • Assistance Accessing Community Resources
  • Career Services Ann Arbor Center for Independent Living
  • Community Advocacy
  • Disability-Related Training for Businesses & Organizations
  • Independent Living Coaching
  • Peer Support
  • Small Business Development Assistance
  • Recreation & Arts Programming
  • Transitions from Nursing Facilities back into the Community
  • Volunteer and Training Opportunities
  • Youth Programming

Their website:


Feeding Matters

This organization works to raise the visibility of feeding disorders and provide support to families who have children with feeding disorders. They have a program called ‘Power of Two’ that pairs a parent who has experience with feeding disorders with a parent whose child is newly struggling to eat. Furthermore, their webpage contains helpful information for how to find treatment as well as other tips. This is a good resource for parents who struggle to help their child eat.

Furthermore, Feeding Matters offers financial assistance for families. Here is a link to more information: Family Assistance Program

Feeding Matters mission statement is “We are furthering advances in pediatric feeding disorders by accelerating identification, igniting research, and promoting collaborative care for children and families.”


Programs to Educate All Cyclists (PEAC)

PEAC puts on the Summer Cycling Program each summer. During this program, they work with children and young adults who have disabilities to help them learn how to ride a bike. People of all abilities are included in this program, and it is very affordable. In addition to teaching bike riding, they also assist people with disabilities in learning how to negotiate public transportation and develop self-advocacy skills.


If you are struggling with accepting your child’s diagnosis or are overwhelmed, here is a  resource to help you find a therapist to talk with. This practice is owned an operated by Michelle Avery Ferguson, a fully licensed clinical social worker and child and family therapist. She specializes in neurodevelopmental disorders such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and ADHD and in providing clinical services to parents and caregivers of children with disabilities. A very important part of helping your child is helping yourself. There is no shame in needing someone to talk with to work through any trouble you might have in coping.

For more information, please visit her website:


Room to Talk and The Women’s Center of Southeast Michigan

These are two more options for finding someone to talk with if you are struggling. Room to Talk offers licensed therapists and accepts some insurance plans. If your insurance does not cover individual therapy, The Women’s Center offers therapy priced on a sliding scale and delivered by interns. Most importantly, men are welcome to seek counseling at The Women’s Center too.




Family Support Subsidy Program

This subsidy is through the State of Michigan, and it provides a monthly check for $222.11 to qualifying families to help with the care of a qualifying child. This money can be spent on anything from therapies, extracurriculars, and investments for the child’s future.

Basically, to qualify, families must net (not gross!) $60,000 or less on their Michigan tax returns (line 16), have a child with a qualifying disability (autism qualifies), and be using special education services with a school diagnosis.

Family Assistance Program

Feeding Matters offers financial assistance for families who have a child, or children, with a feeding disorder. Here is a link to more information

Family Assistance